Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pizza Day

Hey,
Things are going great here. Tomorrow we teach the fourth lesson to people. It's going to be so easy compared to the other lessons because we actually know what we are doing and we don't have so much material to cover in the 15 minutes. Last week was the best simulation that we've done. Usually our teacher tells us to stop, but last week he didn't. We were going. We taught for almost 30 minutes. He told us that he usually stops people, unless he thinks that they're doing good....which isn't very often. And no, nothing really happened here because of the hurricanes. We don't get out much to see anything, but everything that we do see seems normal. It's really cool being right on the coast. It feels kind of weird since the temperature and trees don't change. I don't know if it has there either, but I think it's still July. We only have about a week and a half left here at the CCM, and then it's off to the field. It's so weird to think about. It's going to be soo different, but so fun. I can't wait. It's going to be alot different teaching real people that you can actually see if they are actually progressing. Here, we teach alot of different teachers, but we're supposed to act like they are the same person...it's so weird. But going to the university is way fun. Yeah, what we do there is go up to people sitting down talking, doing homework, just sitting, sleeping, walking, whatever. Anyway, we just stop them and talk to them about the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, families, anything that they have questions about really. Usually our teachers try to give us something to focus on, but it's really just what they need to hear. It's so weird. Two months ago I would never do what I'm doing now. Most people have heard a little about the Church and the Book of Mormon. It's pretty surprising. Their really nice and like to talk about it most of the time. But a few days ago we went to talk to the guy and girl and we were talking and then all of a sudden, the girl just said that she went to a different church and didn't want to talk to missionaries from a different and untrue church. That was the worst reaction we've ever got. So we just bore our testimonies and left (it was time to leave anyway). It's alot of fun though. They speak so fast and don't say half of the parts of the word, especially 's'. Like when they say something like nos ..something it sounds like no...something. That's one of the hardest parts to understand. There's a few other things, but it's alright. I heard that Dominican spanish is the fastest "dirtiest" spanish. So if I can understand it, I'll be set. I don't know if I told you, but the Jamaicans left and we got alot of Latinos from all over. probably 20 elders and 10 hermanas. So it's packed here. They came here last week, but the flew out another sister yesterday from Provo becuase one of the sisters is from Guyana? (however you spell it) and so she speaks only english and didn't have a english companion. Well, they just got new computers here, so now I can definitely send pictures, maybe, since I have only one more P-day left I think. Well, I don't know what more to say. Maybe next week I'll have more or something better. Oh, I just remembered, today is pizza day. yeah.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Val thanks for putting these up. Sounds like Steve o is doing great. i did start a blog too at katiesalaskanadventure.blogspot.com

Elder Sherwood said...

Congratulations! I think you're the first person to leave a comment. It makes me happy that there's at least one person who appreciates hearing from Stephen :) I'll have to check out your blog!